62 years ago published the Fellowship of the Ring
62 years ago, on this day (or rather yesterday), the Brotherhood of the Ring was published - the first book in the Lord of the Rings series.
I don't remember exactly, but I probably read The Lord of the Rings after the first part of the trilogy was released. And then I read the Hobbit. In general, the opposite is true. Many people thought the film, and the book, was too childish. But still there is something legendary and powerful. What a lump. As for example, in the Star Wars universe - also controversial for many.
It's no secret that not everything in the film is true, so let's consider the main differences in the plot of the book from the movie “The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
1. According to the film, after celebrating Bilbo's birthday and his subsequent disappearance, Gandalf comes to the hobbit's house and tells him to give the ring. After long disputes, Bilbo gives the ring, after which Gandalf asks Frodo to keep this jewelry. After a short time, Gandalf returns to Frodo and talks about everything, saying that he will wait for him in Bree.Almost immediately, Frodo goes.
According to the book, 20 years pass between talking with Gandalf and Frodo and his return, and they set off on the road in a few more months.
2. The movie completely removed the storyline with Tom Bombadil - the owner of the forest. He never leaves his forest, but he was rescued by the hobbits twice. In addition, wearing a ring, he did not become invisible, but the ring became invisible.
3. According to the book in the tavern “The Prancing Pony,” the innkeeper hands him a letter from Gandalf, which says that he should go to Rivendell. This moment is not indicated in the film and there was no news from Gandalf.
4. In the film, we can observe that before the appearance of Barlog, all the orcs flee in fear, but in the book it was not at all like that. They were rather the opposite.
5. In the film, Frodo keeps the ring in full view and is not shy about anyone. In the book, he tries to hide him always and gets it only when necessary. According to the book, even Gollum saw the ring only once and then at the very end, and in the film the hobbit constantly “shines” around him.
6. According to Gimli’s book, he knew that the gnomish kingdom of Moriah was a long-abandoned place, and that Ballin most likely was already dead, since he had gone there and no more news from him. In the film, Gimli does not suspect anything of the kind.
7According to the film, Merry and Pepin randomly go on a journey with Frodo and Sam, according to the book they do it on purpose and planned.
8. According to the film, when the Nazgul wounded Frodo with a morgul blade, He was sent across the Arwen River (daughter of the ruler of Rivendell Elrond and the beloved Aragorn). She also causes a tsunami that washes away the Nazgul. According to the book, the hobbit, on the other hand, transports another elf from Rivendell, namely Glorifindl, across the river. And the tsunami itself is already caused by Gandalf and Elrond.
9. Boromir is killed at the end of the film “The Brotherhood of the Ring”, and in the book version he is killed at the beginning of the second book, i.e. "Two Fortresses". The film shows that Boromir is killed by Uruk-Hai, a specially grown orc, who was given orders personally by Saruman. Well, in the book about a special orc in general not a word. It was written only that thirty orcish dead lay around him, and he himself was worn out by arrows.
10. According to the book, the sword, which Isildur once defeated Sauron, was also broken and its fragments were stored in Rivendell. But before sending nine members of the Brotherhood, this sword was reforged and given to Aragorn. And in the film, this sword was reforged only in the third part, The Return of the King.
eleven.In the film, Pippin accidentally clashes the skeleton with a bucket into a well, and according to the book he specifically throws a stone into the well to check the depth. From this, the orcs are activated, but according to the book they attack the Brotherhood only the next day, and according to the film almost immediately.
12. The film does not show a big piece of the ending, when everyone returns home and learns that Saruman and Zmeeust seized power in the Shire, well, the characters return Shir back
13. According to the film on the wind, Frodo thrust a blade and that’s it. According to the book, he himself attacked the Nazgul in a critical situation (and relatively successfully), which is why he hit him in the shoulder, not in the heart.
14. Even before the battle of Helmovi Padi, in the film, the elves sent their archers ... In the book, however, there was one Legolas from the elves for help! And these fucking wits ssykuny nykalis forests!
Well, critics often emphasize the differences between the characters of the book and the film: Frodo, helpless ballast, not stoic with a sense of duty, Merry and Pippin are not true friends, rustic, but brave, and a couple of morons, Eowyn is not a cold-blooded stern warrior, but a village fool , Aragorn, not a confident mature warrior, but a notorious teenager, and so on.It is easier to say whose character in the book is not altered, it is Sam and Gandalf.