Carpentry workshop: do-it-yourself home business
Own carpentry mini-business requires a small investment. The guarantor of success is your hands, experience and skills. So you should try and make every effort. We will tell you what details should be considered when opening a carpentry workshop.
We select and arrange the place
A joiner's workshop in an apartment is a bad option: there is little space, and there is a lot of noise and dust. Therefore, a good place for arrangement is a country house or a private house (in the garage, shed, on the ground floor or in the attic).
Before starting a mini-business, you need to think carefully about everything and be sure to consider:
- what exactly you can produce - finished furniture, doors, workpieces for larger structures;
- consumption of materials - the cost of wood varies depending on the type of wood and on whether the wholesale purchase or retail;
- equipment costs - you can buy used machines, it will reduce the cost of your entry into the business;
- the cost of heating and electricity (equipment, hood, lighting per month);
- the necessary area - a few square meters will be enough if you want to make handmade boxes, but you need a workshop for streaming furniture production.
Plan of the room: to foresee and think over
The layout of the workshop may look as follows: the center is a sawing machine, along the walls are billet machines, presses, shelving.
In a workshop with a full production cycle, the following machines are needed:
- drum grinding;
Other necessary attributes of the workshop: hood, racks, desk, cabinets, painting room (or part of the room, protected from moisture and dust).
Heating and lighting are some important points: without proper heating, the tree will grow damp and deform, and the lack of a sufficient amount of light is fraught with poor quality of work and damaged eyesight. Production control in the workshop should be carried out constantly, so do not neglect these important elements of the device premises.
Registration is not a panacea
To work legally, you must register yourself as an individual entrepreneur or create a legal entity (if you intend to work in a team).
The registration procedure is quick, so you should pay attention to the minimum business plan so that your work brings profit and you can pay taxes. It is necessary to calculate the average production cycle, the cost of products, the cost of accounting, and only then draw up the documents.
Think where it is better to purchase wood and accessories, paints and varnishes. Good suppliers will become partners for many years, high-quality raw materials will provide satisfied customers, and you will not incur losses.
It is important to think about who your customers will be, what goals and interests they have, and what you can offer. Building a business model is based on the experience of other joinery workshops, familiarizing yourself with the problems and victories in their path.
How to determine the type of work
Profit will directly depend on:
- wood type - oak is more expensive both in procurement and in sales;
- Customers - small simple boxes will bring a lot of money only if your customer is a large hypermarket. It is much easier to earn money by selling one difficult job with thread and an interesting form at a good price.
You can also make wooden products inlaid, burn wood and add your own new elements. All this is intended to make your work not only more expensive, but also better. In addition, if your work is unique, interesting and at the same time good enough quality - you will earn respect. Next time, satisfied customers will already know who to contact, and you will get loyal customers.
Experience comes with time. You can start with home production and one or two orders per month. Gradually, honing the skill, you will understand the market, its needs, and you will be able to open a larger production.
Most importantly, your home business brings satisfaction, and you earn money doing your favorite business.
Do you want to know more about how to open your carpentry workshop? We offer you to view the following video: