How to connect the drive?
Watch the video
Despite the fact that optical discs todayare becoming less popular media, they still have not come out of use, as happened with floppy disks. Therefore, the computer still needs a CD / DVD drive that can read, erase and write information to optical disks. However, not every user of the personal computer knows how to properly connect the drive to the computer unit.
How to connect the drive to the computer unit
To connect the drive to the computer, you need to perform several steps:
- Prepare the computer for connection.
- Remove the old drive, if available.
- Connect a new drive and install the necessary drivers.
Preparing the computer for connecting the drive
Before installing a new drive,you need to prepare a computer for this. First of all, if there is an old drive, then you need to disconnect it from the system. This can be done in the "System Manager" by calling the context menu of the drive and turning it off.
Then you need to turn off the computer and disconnectit, having removed a wire of an electric system from a block connector. You can also press the button to turn off the power supply to the unit. However, it is still advisable to disconnect the power cord to avoid static shock. After that, unscrew the bolts of the cover of the block and remove it. Now you can remove the old drive and connect a new one.
Disconnecting the old drive
To disconnect the old drive, you need to disconnect it from all the wires that are plugged into its connectors. Then just unscrew the old drive and pull it out neatly from the block.
It is important to know that the drive can be inserted and pulled out of the unit only from the outside. Do not try to push it inside, otherwise you will damage the case of the unit or the drive.
Connecting a new drive
To connect the drive, you must:
- Insert the drive into the body of the unit from the outside.
- Secure the drive with bolts in the housing. Screwing is worth a minimum of four bolts, because the drive can create a lot of noise, if it is poorly fixed and vibrates while reading or writing disks.
- Connect a standard power cable to the drive.
- Connect the data transfer cable from the motherboard. Here everything depends only on the type of loop. Modern units are equipped with SATA loops, however, older models use wide IDE loops.
- Close the computer unit and screw it up.
- Connect the power cord and turn on the power supply.
- Start the computer and test the drive.
Usually, the drive is defined by default. However, if this does not happen, you need to install the necessary drivers from the manufacturer's website or disassemble the unit again and check if the drive is properly connected.
Also you can read our article Why not read the drive.