How to grow and care for ixia in the winter garden and in the garden plot
Varieties and types of ixia
Exotic shades of ixia
Ixia belongs to the Iris family, forms long xiphoid leaves. Inflorescence is very similar to gladiolus or iris. Flowers of the correct form of the most exotic shades: pale cream, snow white, aquamarine, burgundy, sunny yellow, pink, lilac and others (see photo). The flower grows up to 70 cm in height.
In late May or early June, begins a rapid flowering, which declines after 14-20 days. On one pedicel, up to 10 flowers bloom immediately. Flowering ixia looks very exotic, elegant. With its help make out flowerbeds, borders, rock gardens. It can be planted in vases, on the balcony, in greenhouses.
There are 25 types of African beauty. In Russia, hybrid ixia has taken root, which is characterized by a red middle with black veins and bright shades of petals: yellow, pink, white, red. As well as green and spotty ixia.Varieties most popular among Russian gardeners:
- Blue Bird - forms a sky-blue shade;
Ixia green flowers
- Rose Emperor - pink hue petals;
- Giant - snow white flowers with a red and black middle;
- Marquette - flowers rich yellow;
- Castor - red shade of petals;
- Hogarth - delicate cream color;
- Ixia green flowers - with the formation of exotic flowers of navy color (see photo).
Conditions for growth and flowering
To grow ixia on a stretch of central Russia, you need to know the factors that affect growth and flowering.
What the flower does not like:
- soil moisture;
- heavy dense ground;
- depleted stony soil;
- too acidic or alkaline soils;
- shady places;
- frost and frost.
Ixia is propagated by bulbs, on which many children are formed at the end of summer. Children will have to grow for 2-3 years before the inflorescences appear from the young bulbs. Adult plants bloom profusely under the following conditions:
- a lot of sun;
- plentiful, frequent watering;
- green mass care - cleaning of dry leaves, inflorescences;
- air temperature is not lower than 18-20 degrees;
- fertilized soil;
- drainage, soil loosening.
For abundant flowering, you should remove faded inflorescences and dried leaves. Drying of flowers and green mass is most often associated with insufficient watering.
How to plant flowers in open ground
Planting bulbs in the open field is carried out in the spring, when the weather is warm. If the region is characterized by May and June frosts, it is better to postpone the planting, or to plant the bulbs in the greenhouse. Ixia does not tolerate sudden changes in temperature and frost.
The soil should be sufficiently fertilized with humus with a good drainage system. For drainage, it is necessary to add coarse-grained river sand and peat to the soil. The soil should be pH neutral. You should not plant a flower in shady places, as well as in lowlands with stagnant water.
Planting of bulbs in the spring should be carried out not earlier than May, but in warm weather, day and night. Planting is as follows:
- Choose a sunny plot, fenced off from the winds.
- They dig up the earth to a depth of 20 cm. They are cleared of lumps, loosened.
- Peat, humus and sand are introduced into the entire mass of the earth, and not just over the surface.
- Cuttings from the shovel pits 6-8 cm deep at a distance of 15-20 cm.
- Cover the wells with soil.
- Do not water the area until the first shoots!
- On top of the soil mulch 2-3 cm.
- After the emergence of shoots, Ixia is fed with mineral fertilizers for flowering plants.
Planting ixia in winter gardens
If desired, Ixia can be planted in the winter garden, at home in deep pots and vases. In the winter garden, the flower is provided with sufficient lighting (mostly artificial); at home, air curtains are made from hot batteries, and the soil moisture is monitored.
Planting African Ixia in parts of central Russia gives good results if it is provided with appropriate conditions and care. Exotic abundantly flowering plants look spectacular in flowerbeds, in winter gardens, alpine gardens. In order to properly cultivate ixia, we suggest watching a training video.