How to install a baby car seat?
Watch the video
Armchairs designed for any weight and height of the child can be fixed in several ways: with the help of regular car seat belts and using the IsoFix system
Let's consider more in detail pros and cons of each method and we will find out how to install a baby car seat.
This is the most "universal" version of fasteningcar seat. So you can fix the seat in any car, where there are three-point seat belts. However, the installation procedure itself is quite complicated. Research data have been published, which show that almost 60% of the seats are fixed by the owners incorrectly. So be extremely careful and follow the instructions "How to install the child car seat correctly" provided by the manufacturer of the seat.
Keep in mind that when installing the chair withbelts you will necessarily encounter some nuances associated with a certain group of seats. For example, to secure the seats of group 0 and 0 1 you need a fairly long seat belts. So, when making a purchase, specify the length of the car belt of your car. It must be at least two meters, or it may not be enough.
But the chairs of group 1, as a rule, are equipped with a useful function: they have a belt tension system. This makes it possible without special effort and very firmly fix the seat in the car.
In the armchairs of group 2-3 there are no separate seat belts at all. The child is fastened directly by car belts.
Mounting with the IsoFix system
This system is a standard way of fixinga child seat to the car seat. Such a fixing option is simple and reliable, while meeting international safety standards. The risk of improper installation is minimized, and collision protection is provided by the rigid attachment between the seat and the seat of the car.
Externally IsoFix represents twometal "brackets" located in the rear seat of the car, where the seat back and "seat" adjoin. Such a fixation system is recognized as a generally accepted standard, so it has no varieties. And in some brands of cars on the back of the seat, you can see the inscription "IsoFix" or the badge representing the car seat.
Among the main advantages of securing the child seat with the help of the system:
- Easy and fast installation and dismantling of the chair
- Stiffness between the seat and the seat of the car
- No problems with installing the seat for the machine seat
- Almost no errors during installation
- High degree of protection in case of accident
- Absolute compliance with international standards
However, despite the universality of the system, there are several shortcomings in its application. Among them:
- High cost seats
- The use of only heavy weight seats
There are also a number of features that you just need to consider when choosing a chair with the IsoFix system. These features are dictated by the age group.
For example, if the model is adapted to the systemIsoFix, this will save you the most time to install it. A special base is attached to this chair, which is fixed in the car. In this case, the seat itself snaps into the base from above. This option allows you not to use seat belts.
IsoFix cantilevers fix the chair only in 2 points. And the seat itself should be fixed in one more third point, which will avoid twisting and overturning.
This "third fixing point" can be of three types:
- "Leg". It rests on the bottom of the car (used in the seats 0 and 1).
- TopTether strap. This is the upper reference point (used only in the chairs of group 1). The special strap secures the upper part of the child seat for a separate attachment of the car. It is located behind the headrest or at the bottom of the backrest:
- The system of "movable cantilever clamps". It is patented only by one manufacturer of children's armchairs - the company Romer. In the models of these seats IsoFix retainers, if necessary, move horizontally. Thanks to this, the chair does not roll over, but "drowns" down.
But children's universal car seats, which combine several age groups, under the IsoFix system are not provided. Keep this in mind if you are thinking of buying a model.
For more information, click here.