What interferes with sound sleep?
Full-fledged sound sleep at night - a pledge of vitality during the day. But sometimes he runs away from us, and then we meet the morning tired and in a bad mood. What are the causes of insomnia and how to restore sleep, we will tell in our article.
Insomnia - biorhythm failure
Insomnia, called medical insomnia, issleep disturbance, which is a consequence of the failure of human biological rhythms. It affects 30% of the male population of the planet and 35% of women. Ladies are more likely to suffer from a sleep disorder, because they are more emotional and subject to “self-digging,” which is not good for sleep.
Sleep is vital because it gives rest to both mind and body. Ideally, we should sleep 8 hours a day - that is how much time the body needs to recover. Normal homo sapiens will not last long without sleep: a five-day continuous wakefulness can be fatal. An insomniac kid stops growing, because only in the deep sleep phase does he develop growth hormone. Therefore, it is important to observe the sleep pattern of the child.
Few people know that during their stay in the realm of Morpheus, our adrenaline-like hormone production decreases, body temperature and blood pressure decrease. Another interesting fact: when we see dreams, the muscles are immobilized, as with paralysis, so as not to repeat the movements that we see in the dream.
If aout of sleepFirst of all, it should be determined why this happened. Only by knowing the causes of insomnia and eliminating them, you will be able to regain a sound and healthy sleep. Most often, failure occurs due to:
- external factors: uncomfortable beds, noise, high or low air temperature, lack of fresh air;
- anxiety and stress that lead to a malfunction of the central nervous system. As a result, the body begins to produce less sleep hormone, and the person sleeps anxiously, with nightmares, often wakes up;
- diseases of the nervous system, including neurosis, depression, concussion, mental illness. They bring discord in the functioning of the brain, disrupting the sequence of processes of arousal and inhibition. As a result, at night you can not fall asleep or sleep for only three hours, and during the day you remain sleepy, nervous and irritable;
- eating disorders.Moms don't say nothing: eating before bedtime is bad. Eaten food falls heavily on the stomach, forcing it to work even at night, when all physiological processes in the body are inhibited. Heaviness in the stomach and fermentation in the intestine cause a feeling of discomfort, due to which a person sleeps restlessly and often wakes up
- psycho-emotional state. There are cases when we are afraid of sleep (for example, if nightmares often occur) or do not want to go to bed (for example, you slept with her spouse who left you). Relaxation on the physical and emotional level is a prerequisite for sound sleep;
- biorhythm disorders. The work of the internal biological clocks of a person fails during the transition to winter or summer time, as well as during long-distance flights, when you have to cross several time zones. In such cases, the "owls" come back to normal faster, but the "larks" adapt much longer and heavier;
- snoring. It only seems that the snoring person is sound asleep. In fact, the relaxed muscles of his larynx periodically block access of air to the lungs, and a person, unaware of this, wakes up to 40 times a night to “take a sip” of oxygen;
- drugs.Many drugs have a side effect - they stimulate the excitation of the nervous system, and a person loses sleep or sleeps little and anxiously. Therefore, carefully read the instructions for medicines;
- stimulating substances. These include coffee, cigarettes, alcohol and energy drinks. They activate the brain and disrupt sleep and wakefulness. Therefore, it is better to quit smoking and forget about coffee before bedtime;
- old age. Over the years, a person's physical activity decreases, and it takes less time to recover. The situation is also aggravated by diseases of the nervous system manifested in old age, which also negatively affect the duration and depth of sleep.
To ensure a good night's rest, you should exclude the causes of insomnia and all factors contributing to its occurrence.
How to restore sleep mode?
To avoid disruption of sleep, follow a number of recommendations.
Do not eat or drink:
- coffee, cola, black tea and chocolate less than ¼ days before being sent to bed. They have a lot of caffeine, which has a tonic effect on the nervous system.The effect of energy drinks is twice as strong, therefore they can be drunk only in the first half of the day;
- incompatible and difficult to digest products. Meat will linger in your digestive tract for 8 hours and will not let you sleep well, and in combination with mashed potatoes or rice porridge this period will increase by one and a half times;
Do not drink alcohol and quit smoking, as nicotine and tobacco also provoke short-term insomnia.
Actions that can disrupt a person's sleep:
- physical exercise. Classes in the fitness room is best completed 6 hours before the departure to the bed;
- quarrels, stresses. Set a rule: no clarification of relationships and internal self-torture at bedtime, better do it in the morning;
- computer. Social networking and online games are addictive, pushing back into the bedroom and shortening the duration of sleep.
Eliminate the causes of insomnia and restore the correct sleep pattern will help:
- adherence to the day. Try to lie down and get up at one time, and then your biorhythms will work like a clock;
- comfort in the bedroom. Comfortable bed, quiet colors, thick curtains and good sound insulation will create optimal conditions for a night's rest;
- daily activity. The more you get tired during the day, the stronger you will sleep at night;
- timely treatment of diseases. Then there will be no pain and disturbing thoughts, because of which it is not sleeping well;
- relaxing before bed. Read the book, count the elephants, fantasize, imagining yourself in the entourage of the romantic Middle Ages - in general, calm down and distract from problems, and sleep will not take long to wait.
If within 15 minutes you cannot fall asleep, get up, go out into the air, drink warm milk, wait until you feel sleepy, and try again to fall asleep. Do so until your efforts are crowned with success. Mandatory conditions of this technique: do not sleep during the day and get up in the morning at the same time.
Folk remedies for insomnia
Having lost a dream, do not rush to drink sleeping pills. It will only help for a while, then the body will become addictive, and the pills will be useless. But folk remedies in this case can help.
Tincture of sleep herbs
It will take 10 fresh flowers of the plant, which need to grind, pour vodka (0.5 l) and let it brew for 10 days. Take 3-4 weeks to 2 teaspoons for half an hour before bedtime. Longer use of this remedy is contraindicated because it suppresses sexual activity.
They are smeared before going to bed whiskey (not rubbing) or dissolved in water and slightly sprayed pillow.
Infusion of valerian
2 teaspoons of the crushed root of this plant are poured with a glass of boiling water and infused for about 30 minutes. The infusion is filtered and ingested half an hour before bedtime - no more than 0.5 cups.
In 7 cases out of 10 we can independently identifycauses of insomniaand regain healthy sleep. If attempts to overcome the illness themselves have not brought results, you should consult a doctor.
Why insomnia torments businessmen and managers and how to deal with it, look in the video: