What is schizophrenia, and how does it manifest itself in children and adults
Primary manifestations of the disease
In most cases, the first signs of schizophrenia in women can be observed at 25 years of age, and the signs of schizophrenia in men can be five years earlier. In addition, the second, by the age of 30, the first symptoms are clearly manifested. If one casually examines the signs of schizophrenia in adolescents, then it is worthwhile to primarily identify aggressiveness and asociality.
In women, schizophrenia develops much more slowly and less noticeably.
It is well known that already at the initial stage of schizophrenia, there are two main symptoms such as hallucinations and delusions, which is typical for both sexes.
Manifested with schizophrenia and minor symptoms that may be pronounced: severe emotional background and depression.However, they are only distributed as signs of schizophrenia in women.
The described manifestations may be present for years before their productive symptoms are detected. In the case of sluggish disease on the part of women, aggression is manifested to a lesser extent. However, they are:
- inhospitable to others;
- avoid any social contacts;
- stand out sharply in their behavior.
If we consider the signs of schizophrenia in men, the picture will be somewhat different. Their symptoms are more noticeable, especially in the external manifestation:
- delusions of persecution;
- sloppy look;
- no desire to take care of yourself.
Regarding such a disease as schizophrenia, it is very difficult to predict at which stage its particular symptoms will be clearly expressed.
The main symptom is a violation of thinking
Despite the fact that there are a wide variety of symptoms to determine schizophrenia, it is not easy for doctors to make a definitive diagnosis. This requires tests that are able to identify the following disorders:
- obstruction of thinking, with which a person often coexists, and a feeling of loss of control over thoughts;
- neologisms or building your own language;
- some vagueness of thinking and the lack of clear boundaries between any concepts;
- the presence of concrete thinking and the complete absence of the abstract;
- mechanical repetition of the same phrases and / or words (more observed in chronic forms of the disease);
- the presence of logic not perceived by others;
- communication difficulties;
- the impossibility of understanding the similarities and differences;
- difficulties with the separation of the main and secondary;
- Association of non-existent signs of objects and concepts.
Children's and teenage schizophrenia
Not rarely observed signs of schizophrenia in children. At an early age, the disease can occur even in the first year of a baby’s life. However, schizophrenia is most often diagnosed starting at age 7. In this case, the disease is expressed:
- the closeness of the child;
- loss of interest in ordinary matters;
- development of disorders of perception and thinking.
In childhood, the symptoms of schizophrenia are very similar to those that occur in adolescents who have passed into the period of early youth.
At the age of one year and up to 3 years, the symptoms of the disease are mainly expressed by the following features:
- monotonous arousal;
- walking in a circle or side to side;
- no motivated laughter or cry;
- running in an uncertain direction.
In the period of late preschool age, thinking will be noted, manifested by isolation from reality and fantasy, which will fill the entire consciousness of the child.
Often, the clinical picture is built on personality change:
- emotional coldness;
- lack of initiative;
In this case, a disease such as simple schizophrenia is meant. After 12 years of age, the disease may be accompanied by hallucinatory-delusional manifestations. The most severe is considered the form of the disease in which alternations of periods of immobility occur, followed by the disintegration of speech and motor arousal.
Adolescent schizophrenia occurs quite rarely and is accompanied by emotional emaciation, foolishness, absurd "clown" behavior, and speech rupture.