Where is more comfortable to rabbits - in a hole or in a cage?
There is a story about how forty rabbits, who were considered hopelessly sick, were released to die, and instead they survived and recovered. Another case has been described: rabbits left without shelter and care, in a few months surpassed the health of those who were locked up.
All of this suggests that conditions close to natural are very useful for rabbits. Learn the secrets of breeding rabbits in the pits. There are two main ways of breeding rabbits: in cages and pits. The first of them is the most widespread today, while experts believe that the second breeders are neglected completely. Let's talk about its pros and cons. First of all, please note that medium-sized rocks are suitable for the pit method, large ones are better to be diluted in cages.
Pluses of breeding rabbits
The pits are close to the natural habitat. Rabbits feel almost free. They move, dig holes, develop well and multiply. Rabbits do not need help during childbirth, everything happens naturally.
There are other arguments in favor of this method of eared:
- Financial costs are much less than with cell dilution, since the construction of cells, not to mention buying them, is much more expensive.
- Space saving: approximately 200 rabbits can live in a 2 × 2 m pit. With so many cells will take much more space.
- It is more convenient to feed them, because the feed is laid once, it is not necessary to check every cell. Experts say that the feed itself is consumed less.
- It is comfortable for rabbits at any time of the year - there is no heat, no drafts in the pit.
- When breeding rabbits in the pits directly from the soil, they get useful minerals.
- Feeding baby rabbits with better quality milk: babies, getting out of their holes, can get food from any milk rabbit.
Cons of this method
The main disadvantage is that keeping the same rabbits in the pit can lead to closely related crossing, which causes gradual shallowing and sometimes degeneration of the offspring.
Among the other cons of the breeders note:
- Since the food is thrown into the pit for all, the ration of all animals is the same; you cannot envisage an individual approach here. And kids, and adults, and pregnant rabbit will eat the same.
- If someone is sick, it is not easy to identify and isolate, and the infection can spread to others.
- When breeding rabbits in the pits, they begin to be afraid of people, they gradually run wild.
- Difficult to control mating.
- In conditions close to nature, male rabbits can behave aggressively and fight, causing their skins to deteriorate.
- Animals dig burrows sometimes up to 20 m, so they are not easy to catch.
If you decide to breed rabbits in the pits, you need to arm yourself with some knowledge to care for them. First of all, the pits are suitable only in case of low location of groundwater. Otherwise, the rabbits will heat up, and they will dig holes up to escape.
The pit should be not less than a meter deep, and preferably one and a half to two, then the animals will not be selected to the surface. In order to catch rabbits, a latch must be made for each hole, then the paths for retreat will be blocked.
So that there is no unpleasant smell from the pit, the bottom should be covered with a metal grid or lath, and straw should be put on top and replaced as necessary. It should equip the drainage system, because dampness, wet feet - the cause of animal diseases.Therefore, we pour about 20 cm of sand under the net or rail, which absorbs urine. It can be done this way: pour the sand with cement mortar under a slight inclination in the direction opposite to the hole, so that urine can flow there.
Strengthen walls with brick or slate, except for one in which rabbits will make nests. So the pit will not collapse and the animals will not dig holes in all directions. On a free wall at a height of about 20 cm, make a hole that tells the rabbits where to dig holes. The burrow is made above the floor level so that the urine does not fall into the nests and so that during the digging process the ground does not block the entrance to the burrows. In winter, walls are insulated, for example, with straw mats.
To protect against predators, as well as heat and weather, a roof is needed. The material can be any, but not desirable metal sheets, which are very hot in the sun. In this case, the animals need and fresh air. It is possible to remove a pipe from a hole.
Also, rabbits need sunlight, and in winter - any kind of artificial lighting. A fence is built around the perimeter of the pit, which also protects against predators.
Breeding rabbits in the pit is recommended to start with those that already lived in such conditions. They are purchased from other breeders. Such rabbits will teach fellow digging holes.You can also run there youngsters at the age of 4-5 months. But adult individuals who lived in cages all their life most likely forgotten this instinct. Run the animals in batches, about twenty, so it will be easier for them to settle down.
If you decide to start breeding rabbits in a hole, you need to know some tricks of caring for them with this content.
- Convenient feeding is better to arrange as follows: install feeders, drinkers, and a manger for hay along one wall. Fix the feeders at such a height that they were accessible to the kids, but to completely climb there was impossible. Do not skimp on the number of feeders - you do not want a crush to appear near them?
- Rabbits drink more than they eat, so pour and change water more often.
- If males fight too much, then the most aggressive ones should first of all be “let into the expense”.
- In order to raise healthy offspring when breeding rabbits, it is necessary to exclude family ties. For this, the father of the family is removed from the pit when his children become sexually mature.
- As necessary, the pit is cleaned, cleaned waste products, food waste, excess land, which dug rabbits.
- Some believe that the rabbits in the pits are wild. To tame them, you can do the example of one of the breeders. He fed them at the same time, treated them with carrots and apples directly from his hands, and convened a bell for lunch. Thus, they were not wild at all, but tame.
- It is believed that in the pits rabbits get sick less often than in cages. But to prevent outbreaks of infection, it is recommended to inoculate females. After a year, a new generation will receive immunity along with mother's milk.
How to effectively deal with rats
The problem of breeding rabbits in the pit often become rats. These harmful rodents and strive to get into the pit to the young.
Poison can not be poured, because it can be eaten and rabbits. One of the ways out is to take a few unsuitable light bulbs, break them and chop them well. Cut a couple of onions, fry them in oil in a pan and drive four eggs into it. In an unnecessary container, we mix this mass with fragments, lay it on paper, wrap it in a bag, tie it up and put it in places where rats appear. After eating such a mixture, they soon die.
The method is effective, but barbarous. Not every rabbit breeder will find such pest control acceptable. Ultrasonic repellers can not be used, because the harm will be done not only to rats, but also to rabbits.But on the cat-rat farmers reviews are positive. It is important not to let these "combat cats" into the house and limit feeding. Then they are 100% realize their natural inclinations.
Opinions krolikovodov - discussion on forums
The experience of breeding rabbits in the pits willingly share the breeders in the forums. So, one of them considers the main advantage to be conditions as close as possible to natural ones. With proper feeding, they are pleased with health, good fur and weight
“... Somehow the rabbit dug a hole in a fenced enclosure and“ went underground ”, the livestock breeder says.“ We could not control the nursing process of the bunnies, or somehow affect the freedom of its movement. As a result young babies were born - beautiful specimens, larger than those with cellular content, at least one and a half times, with excellent hair, very active. The mother mother was also pleased, looked very healthy, beautiful and energetic. Alas, there is a downside. The same holes dug in different directions eniyah, can bring down the territory in an unpredictable place. Rabbits can simply escape, break out outside the pit.Another disadvantage is that animals that are difficult to control are very wild and are not allowed to come near. If they get sick, they will be difficult to treat. If all these minuses are somehow minimized, then you can get a wonderful breed. "
This method has opponents.
“... Personally, I have a negative attitude towards this technology,” says one of them. “When we try to put a rabbit in a hole, we try to bring the development of rabbit breeding back. First of all, we need to think about the animal’s fitness for such conditions. Often people try put a rabbit in a pit, which was kept in much better conditions. A big problem in the pit is taking into account the rabbits, since it is almost impossible to organize. Rabbits breed arbitrarily and close breeding will be common, it will eventually lead to the degeneration of obmelchaniyu and rabbits. The big question arises with sanitary conditions in this type of content, because all the rabbits kept together and you can not quarantine the organization in relation to a sick animal. "
There is no single opinion as to the best way to raise rabbits: in cages or pits, neither those who study this question from a scientific point of view, nor those who practice it.Perhaps opinions differ because it is possible to equip cells and pits in different ways. Therefore, the choice is yours. It is possible that you will find the most convenient way, having tried both.
California rabbits in the pit: